Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Everything in one post

I wish there are 48 hours in a day. I have been so busy since September – but not really productive. When there is time, time spent on my bed – zzZZZ. Anyway, yesterday Sunny asked me when I am going to update my blog. Yeah, right now (instead of zzZZZ). I am going to put everything in one post - stuffs cumulated from about half a year ago.

Part 1 - A list of projects in progress:

For Lorena’s new born baby girl. Well, I totally made up the little sock. I have no clue whether it will fit a two-month-old baby. Can anyone tell me? It’s 5 inches long. The second sock is still in my head (incase I need modifications).


I am very proud of the evenness of my knitting and my finishing skills.

My poor peacock feather shawl has been hidden at a corner of my yarn closet for, embarrassedly, almost half a year. It saw daylight again today for a photoshoot. I need a better, shaper needle for this project. It’s really hard to do sl2tog, k1, psso knitting in lace weight yarn with a blunt, slippery Inox circular needle.

During the weekend, I learned twined knitting because I surprisingly obtained some Z piled alpaca yarn (it was from Eugeni.x last Christmas, at the time I got it I didn’t noticed it was S spun & Z piled, I figured it out when doing the winding a month ago).

And lace knitting again! A pattern from Yarn Over, I am knitting it with DMC size 30 cotton and a 2.0 mm needle. There is a mistake in the chart, luckily I figured it out right after I finished the mistake round, and it was an easy fix. Easy pattern, no maker is required except one for indicating the beginning of a round!

FO: Mini Argyle Beret
Pattern: My own creation
Yarn: Rown 4ply Soft for background; Lorna’s Lace Sheppard Sock Yarn for argyles
Needle: 3.0mm
Well, I made this because I have to digest my sock yarns.

Part 2 – The first credit card syndrome:

Back in September, I got my first credit card, thus started my massive online shopping (the fact that CAD $$ > US $$ resulted even more online shopping lol). I got yarn and sock blockers from The Loopy Ewe. Well the wood socks blockers are fabulous, but the plastic ones are really bad – too thin, not enough stiffness, not worth the price.



And books from Amazon. I feel really disappointed about “The best of Interweave Knits”. They are not the best!!! A few of them are free patterns already, what’s the point of republishing them? The felted floral bag has appeared in several places, no more duplication, please! Also, do you notice the downfall of printing quality in recent craft magazines? The Interweave Crochet and Spin Off are “stapler bounded” (I don’t know the technical term, but you know what I mean, right?). Some recent pattern books are worse than a magazine. Personally, I prefer a higher price with a book better in both content and printing quality. None of recent knitting books can compete with Alice Starmore’s Aran Knitting, or even Ann Feitelson’s The Art of Fair Isle Knitting.


The Gossamer Webs is an exception. Indeed I love some of IK's traditional/folk knitting series. Sadly, this book was published in 1998, almost one decade ago.

14 comments:

opportunityknits said...

Blogger just ate my comment, this is my 2nd try. Glad you're posting finally :) The baby hat and argyle beret are so pretty and neatly done. The gossamer book sounds interesting but sorry to hear that the IK best didn't turn out as you had imagined.

Elliott said...

Hah, I was just wondering when you'd write something when I saw you in the lab today...

Knitnerd said...

Elliot, I am so surprised that you actually read my blog =) Welcome and enjoy, though you might think the topics are so not engsci related.

Knitnerd said...

OOps, sorry. I meant Elliott.

Anonymous said...

Your work are fabulous!! I am glad that i pushed you to update the blog so i can see all the beauties. The 5" baby sock is tooo big for a new baby..trust me on that:-)but it's okay..she/she will grow into it.. sunny

gail said...

what wonderful projects you have in your basket!! I love the baby hat,and the lace, and everything!!

elisabetha said...

wow...you've sure been busy!! i LOVE that baby hat & bootie design. way to go! and i think the baby would be okay growing into the bootie for awhile :)

caroline said...

Just wanted to say I love your Fair Isle tams in the new Knitty-- Congratulations! I think I'm going to make one as a last-minute Chritmas present.

-- A Fellow Engineer/Knitter

May said...

Horray! Congrats on the knitty published design!

Magpie said...

Yet another engineer type from Knitty (I won't say where I go to school, it will put my health at risk).

I must say that I haven't had any problems with the points on my Inox needles for laceweight (well... gossamer weight, but close enough). I'm just struggling with the joins.

What size needle are you using for the lace? Maybe I'm just not using needles that are as oversized.

Yvette said...

Your Knitty tams are incredible!!!! Congratulations on beautiful work.

Chie said...

Your tams on Knitty are BEAUTIFUL!!
Congratulations!
I also love everything on this post especially the Mini Argyle Beret. I'd love to knit a beret like that! ;)
I wish I knit like you... You knit so beautifully! :)

Diane said...

You are SO talented! By the way, I have the same problem with the Peacock shawl . . .

Molly Loves Paris said...

I'm an American who learned to knit in Hong Kong in the early 80s. What a treat to see all the knitting shops in HK. My two favorites were Mui Tong in Li Yeun street and Paris Cotton Singlets. The owner of the Paris shop spoke perfect English and her son went to a British school. I really miss those shops. When they carried a yarn they carried every color. And the prices were so good. Your knitting is wonderful. I'm very impressed