Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My First Project for Lettuce Knit!




Two weeks ago I wrote an email to Megan, owner of the little cozy yarn store "Lettuce Knit" at Kensington Market, downtown Toronto, and asked her about summer work possibilities. She accepted and gave me this crochet pattern, from Stitch n' Bitch Crochet, as my first project. I was so excited and tried to finish it as fast as possible. However, since I was extremely busy working on my design prototype last week, it took me an entire week to finish this bear.

Ok, now I have to criticize about the book Stitch n' Bitch Crochet: I don't like most of the patterns inside the book, and, there are tons of errors on the patterns! For instance, this bear, the instruction for the legs and arms is obviously wrong, and there is a counting mistake for the body part. Also, I don't like the way that the bear in done in sl st with a 6.5 mm crochet hook, the sts turn out to be very ugly. I don't think I finish the bear nicely. Well, maybe it's just because I am not sophisticated enough for it.

But I think the Japanese crochet patterns are much better.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Wow, you have got a fun summer job!
The bear looks cute and well done for me. But i agree that i prefer the Japanese patterns with the charts. I don't know how to knit with the English instructions , it would take me forever to decipher the abbreviations.